Southern Women have always been admired for their ingenuity and frugal ways. Just about this time each year when I was growing up, I spent a few months with my grand parents. They were truck farmers (they took their home grown veggies and fresh laid chicken eggs to the farmers market every day) Tomatoes were filling the vines, weighing down the plants, and fried green tomatoes were a compliment to almost every meal. But, granny had a special way with dessert, and here’s a wonderful “pound” cake with a unique ingredient. You’ll love it!
You’ll need a large bunt type or tube pan for this recipe. You probably will have some left over batter, so have a couple of small loaf pans ready just in case. Be sure to butter and flour your pans well. Also, this recipe calls for REAL butter. I’ve not tried it with margarine or any substitutes. Go ahead and splurge. Its worth it!
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks), softened
- 2 ½ cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 ½ cups diced green tomatoes
- 1 cup golden raisins (soak until plump)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour a 12 cup bundt pan.
- Beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer until creamy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, baking powder, salt and nutmeg.
- Gradually add to butter mixture, beating well (batter will be soft).
- Stir in tomatoes, raisins and walnuts.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 70 to 75 minutes or until a tester inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan and let cool completely.
- Spoon Browned Butter icing over cake .
Browned Butter Icing:
In a medium saucepan over low heat melt ½ cup (1 stick) butter.
Cook 6 to 8 minutes or until butter is lightly browned.
Whisk in 1 cup confectioners' sugar until smooth.
Somebody told me Paula Deen loves this recipe and has used it on her Food Network program. Well, she’s a good southern woman, so I imagine it was handed down to her just as it was to me.0